How do I file a complaint against a medical facility/provider?

You can start by contacting the facility’s ombudsman/patient advocate office to inform them of the situation. Thereafter, if you feel your concerns have not been addressed, there are a few options to consider:
  • If you wish to file a complaint about an inpatient psychiatric hospital or outpatient psychiatric service facility, follow the grievance process dictated by their state’s Department of Mental Health. 
  • If you would like to file a complaint against a medical facility, you may wish to file a complaint with The Joint Commission, a  nonprofit that accredits more than 21,000 U.S. health care organizations and programs.
If you are covered by Medicare, you can file a complaint about your experience with your state's Quality Improvement Organization (QIO). These groups act on behalf of Medicare to address complaints about care provided to those covered by Medicare.
Other resources include: 
  • Medicare Rights Center provides a national HelpLine and resources page for individuals with Medicare, their family members and friends. Helps to understand Medicare benefits, find the right coverage and understand how any existing coverage works. You can reach the Medicare Rights Center at (800) 333-4114

  • Victims of Long-term Care Resources has a Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program that advocates for residents of nursing homes, assisted living facilities, board and care homes and similar adult care homes. LTCOPs provide information about how to find a facility and how to get quality care and are trained to resolve problems. Their website offers a “How to find a (LTCOP)” in their community at:

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us