How can I find an inpatient or residential treatment facility?
To help in choosing an inpatient or residential treatment facility, talk with your psychiatrist or therapist, contact your local NAMI Affiliate, and/or speak with members of support groups you may be attending for recommendations. Resources include:
- SAMHSA Treatment Locator provides referrals of different treatment facilities in the country. SAMHSA can narrow search by insurance, cost of treatment and type of treatment. Their website also includes programs like assertive community treatment and residential treatment. SAMHSA is a good for low-cost/sliding scale mental health care, substance abuse and dual diagnosis facilities. You can reach SAMHSA at (800) 662-4357.
- Psychology Today offers a “Find a Treatment Center” link on the site to locate treatment facilities. Individuals should verify with insurance company once they have identified a provider to confirm coverage.
- National Council for Behavioral Health offers it's users a “Find a Provider” feature for finding behavioral health provider facilities in their community. You can reach NCBH at (202) 684-7457.
- American Residential Treatment Association maintains a list of member residential treatment facilities, dedicated to providing superior care to adults. Includes information on finding the right facility as well as a “Find a Facility” locator function. Please note that listed facilities may be of high cost.
- AddictionResource provides information and resources and a treatment finder to help those recovering from addiction and their loved ones to find the highest quality care.