I believe my child is showing signs of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) - How can I get them help they need?

You may wish to consult the ADHD page of NAMI’s website where you will find information on the condition, current treatments, and ways to support recovery. In addition, we would suggest talking to your child’s primary care physician about your observations of ADHD/ADD symptoms. Your primary care physician may be able to provide more insight into any potential medical or mental health condition as well as aid in finding the proper treatment.

You may find NAMI Basics OnDemand helpful. NAMI Basics is an education program for parents, caregivers and other family who provide care for youth who are experiencing mental health symptoms. This program is free to participants, self-paced and available 24/7. Additionally, the following resources may be of help:

  • CHADD is an organization that provides specific information on ADHD/ADD and treatment options and provides online support communities for those living with ADHD/ADD as well as family members/caregivers. Their information line can be reached at (800) 233-4050, Monday-Friday, 1-5 PM EST.
  • American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry ADHD Resource Center offers information about the condition and current treatments, a medication resource guide, fact sheets, and resources. 
  • ADDitude is an online magazine that offers free information about the condition, symptoms and treatment; webinars, parenting tips and resources. 

Hours of operation Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. EST 

Call: 800-950-NAMI (6264) 

Text: 62640 

Webchat: www.nami.org/help  

Email: helpline@nami.org

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us