I’ve been denied medical coverage. How can I file a complaint?

You may also wish to investigate whether your rejected medical claim is a result of a disparity in medical coverage. The following resources may be of assistance.  

Against an Insurance company

Medical Parity

  • The Kennedy Forum provides state specific information on filing a complaint or appeal for denial of mental health services under “Resources” section. Also offers a Complaint Registry and a step-by-step guide too filing an appeal.
  • ParityTrack is for individuals who have been denied coverage for mental health services (higher copays, limits on the amount of time spent at treatment, high Rx costs, etc.). Go to the Know Your Rights-Common Violations page to find out if your rights have been violated and there is the option to register a complaint if you have been denied coverage for a mental health or addiction service. Their website offers legal information only- does not provide legal referrals or legal representation. 
  • Know Your Rights: Mental Health Parity (SAMHSA) provides the following link https://store.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/d7/priv/sma16-4971.pdf which contains a PDF providing information on Parity Law (financial requirements and treatment rules) and one’s rights relating to mental health and substance abuse disorder benefits. You can also contact SAMHSA at (866) 444-3272.

Hours of operation Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. EST 

Call: 800-950-NAMI (6264) 

Text: 62640 

Webchat: www.nami.org/help  

Email: helpline@nami.org

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us